Cricket team records: Sri lanka vs New Zealand (Test-ODI)
Cricket team records: Sri lanka vs New Zealand (Test Match Records)
- Srilankans are known as “The Lions” while the New Zealand team is known as the “Kiwis” or the “Black caps” in the cricketing world.
- For the first test between the two countries, Sri Lankan cricket team were headed by DS De Silva while Kiwis were captained by GP Howarth.
- Ground for the first match was Lancaster Park, Christchurch.
- FR Goodall and DA Kinsella were the match officials.
- Muttiah Muralitharan and Sanath Jaya suria have always played well against Kiwis in all formats. For New Zealand, Chris Harris and Daniel Vettori have always been prominent against the Lions.
- 26 test matches have been played between the two countries till now. Out of which kiwis have won 9 while Sri Lankans have succeeded in 7 matches. 10 matches ended in a draw.
- Highest score for kiwis is 671-4 declared on 31 January 1991 in Wellington. While for Sri Lankan highest score is 498 all out in Napier on 4 April 2005.
- Lowest Sri Lankan score against Kiwis is 93 all out in wellington in March 1983. While for Kiwis, lowest score is 102 all out in Colombo in December 1992.
- Martin Crowe of New Zealand cricket team made 299 against Sri Lankan cricket team in January 1991 in wellington. AP De Silva made 267 in the same test match.
- Daniel Vettori took 7-130 in wellington in December 2006. For the Lions, Kumar Dharmasena took 6-72 in Galle in June 1998.
- IDS Smith of New Zealand had 7 dismissals in an innings in Hamilton in February 1991 while he was keeping the gloves. HP Tillakaratne had 5 dismissals in an innings in the same test.
- Latest team between the two teams: 26-30 December 2009 in Colombo.
Cricket team records: Sri lanka vs New Zealand (ODI-One Day International Records)
- For the first ODI between the two countries, Sri Lankan cricket team captain was APB Tennekoon and MG Burgess was the Kiwis captain.
- The first ODI was played in Trent Bridge Nottingham.
- Umpires for the first ODI match between the Sri lankan and Kiwis were WL Budd and KE Palmer.
- Muttiah Muralitharan and Sanath Jayasuria have always played well against Kiwis in all formats. For New Zealand cricket team, Chris Harris and Daniel Vettori have always been prominent against the Lions.
- Till date, 74 ODIs have been played between the two countries out of which Kiwis have won 35 while Sri Lankans have won 34 matches. One match tied and four had no results.
- Highest Kiwis score against Sri Lanka is 315-7 on Johannesburg on 27 September 2009. Sri Lankan highest score is 293-4 in Colombo in July 1998.
- Lowest score for New Zealand against Sri Lanka is 73 all out in Auckland in January 2007. While for Sri Lanka, lowest score against Kiwis is 112 in Christchurch in January 2007.
- Scott Styris had highest individual score of 141 against Sri lanka which he scored in Bloemfontein in Feb 2003. Sanath Jayasuria scored 140 in Bloemfontein in 1993.
- Muralitharan took 5 wickets by giving just 9 runs in a match in Sharjah in 2002. For Kiwis, best bowling figures is by RJ Hadlee of 5-25, which he took in Bristol in 1983.
- Highest number of dismissals in an innings by a wicketkeeper: For New Zealand, four dismissals by LK Germon in Sharjah in 1996. For Lions, RS Kaluwitharna also had 4 dismissals in an innings in Hyderabad in 1997.
- Latest ODI between the two countries was played on 29 March 2011. It was the semi final of the ICC world cup ,which Sri Lanka won.